The nineteenth century would offer great opportunities for young architects wishing to express themselves. As Glasgow expanded its boundaries, huge areas of land were opened up to new development. One such development was the rocky outcrop of Woodlands Hill.
The lower slopes of Woodlands Hill had been partly developed in the 1830’s and the 1840’s. However, by the 1850’s, a proposed development to build the new university buildings on the summit had fallen through and Charles Wilson was commissioned to produce a plan for the Woodlands Hill and Park area.
He entered into a joint venture with surveyor Thomas Kyle to produce a plan which would become Park Circus, Park Terrace and Kelvingrove Park.
In the year 1848 he designed the gatehouse of the Southern Necropolis and his final resting place is within the Central Section.